Contributed by Chip Sestok

I know none of you are that old but thought you might enjoy the pictures anyway. The captions are very interesting too, a lot of stuff I didn't know.

image1

The place is a Texaco Gasoline Filling Station (primarily they filled gas tanks). But what is that contraption with the ramps? The mechanism appears to be driven by the cars wheels. Hydraulic lines go to that can with a raised top. What could it be? A pump for lubeing a car's underparts?The little sign does say "Havolinc" which was Texaco's brand name for its oil products. An early engine dynamometer? Maybe it's a primitive car wash. I dunno, any guesses?

image2

I guess there was no signage limitations back then. I count eleven Texaco signs on that station.

image3

Land wasn't at a premium then like it is now. Note the wide open layout and the nice row of little trees.This was a Texaco Gasoline Motor Oil Service Station. The concept had become a "service station", which included more than just filling your tank.They even filled it FOR you, no "self-service" needed.

image4

Looks like an early "mall". At one location, you could fill up your tank, get a loan so as to look prosperous with a new suit, and have a meal while your spark plugs were changed.

image5

Ford Sales and Service. Look at all those Model T's. You could have one in anycolor you wanted as long as it was black (Henry Ford).

image5

Simplicity itself. No name gas and motor oil for 20 cents a quart, wow.

image7

Dome Gas. You better try it 'cause "It's Better". It better be good since they want 23 cents a gallon for it! LOL.So what is that tank car doing on the trestle by itself? Did Hercules Petroleum Co. lose it?A midnight requisition for that better Dome Gas?

image8

Lemans' Tire Shop. Barney Oldfield tires only $9.99 each. Sounds kind of expensive to me.Note the water can by the side of the road and the barricades around the trees. I guess people just drove up on the sidewalk to get their tires and the trees were in the way.

image9

Here we have Super Motor Fuel. I hear Dome Gas is better but this stuff is SUPER.

image10

Note the name of the station "Toot-An-Kum-In". King Tut was big news in the twentiesso why not capitalize on it. This is a really modern looking station with the full roof andmultiple islands of pumps. AMOCO

Gas (still around today) but what does "filtered" mean.Obviously they consider other gas to be "dirty".

image11

Four Wheel Drive Autos sales and service. The SUV's of the 20's.4WD gas is only 20 cents a gallon!

<